Best Spring Fruits and Vegetables for a Healthy Mouth
What goes best with the warmer weather and sunny days? Delicious seasonal fruits and vegetables that can give you a healthy mouth. For strong, healthy teeth, look for these spring fruits and vegetables that are rich in fiber and vitamin C.
Fiber-rich Fruits and Vegetables
High-fiber foods get your saliva flowing, which washes away many of the food particles left in your mouth after eating. Saliva is your body’s natural way of fighting off cavities and gingivitis. It also contains antimicrobial properties. Leafy greens are an excellent choice for a healthy mouth because they are high in fiber as well as calcium and folic acid. These benefits will strengthen your enamel and help prevent gum disease. For a healthy mouth, add these high-fiber spring fruits and vegetables to your diet:
- Broccoli is a leafy green that is rich in fiber and calcium. Your teeth need calcium to strengthen the enamel that protects them from cavities.
- Carrots are a good source of vitamin A and are high in fiber. Vitamin A fights dry mouth, which is a symptom of gum disease.
- Beets are both rich in color and fiber. They also contain potassium and vitamin A. Potassium works with magnesium to balance the acidity in your mouth. When the environment in your mouth is too acidic, it can weaken your teeth and bones by removing necessary calcium.
- Spinach is a great source of fiber, iron, and calcium. Iron is important for building healthy teeth, nails, skin, and hair.
- Apples are high in fiber and can act as a natural toothbrush by washing away food debris. Chewing on an apple can also stimulate gums, which improves gum health, and remove plaque that has become trapped between teeth.
- Celery is another good fiber source that can clean your teeth naturally and strengthen your gums.
- Artichokes are powerful vegetables because they are low in fat and are full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. They are high in vitamin K, which keeps your teeth strong by shielding them from substances that may break down bone. They’re also a good source of vitamin C.
- Kale is high in fiber and low in calories. It’s a great source of calcium as well as B vitamins, which help protect against gingivitis and keep your mouth healthy.
Fruits and Vegetables Packed with Vitamin C
There are many vitamins and minerals that are important for your oral health. Your body uses vitamin C to fight against gum disease and strengthen your gums. It can also prevent your teeth from becoming loose. Vitamin C is most commonly found in citrus fruits but is also prominent in these popular spring fruits and vegetables that will give you a healthy mouth:
- Strawberries are full of vitamin C and potassium, which help boost your immune system while keeping your mouth healthy. They also contain malic acid which can help whiten your teeth naturally and keep them free of stains.
- Asparagus is high in antioxidants including vitamins C and E. Vitamin E can help prevent gum disease and reduce inflammation in your mouth.
- Zucchini is a very nutrient-rich food. It’s high in vitamins C and A, potassium, and minerals that keep your teeth healthy and strong.
- Cherries pack high amounts of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants all into one small fruit. They are also anti-inflammatory, helping your mouth fight gum disease.
A Year-Round Healthy Mouth
While these seasonal spring fruits and vegetables are excellent for your oral health, it’s still important to practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing daily. Scheduling regular teeth cleanings with your dentist is the best way to maintain a healthy mouth, so give us a call to schedule your next appointment. At Lifetime Family Dental in Gilbert, we want to help you keep your mouth healthy all year round.