Bruxism Pain Relief
Bruxism is a condition that is identified by jaw clenching and tooth grinding. It can wear down your teeth while you sleep, and it can cause severe jaw pain. In some cases, it may lead to the need for TMJ surgery. Lifetime Family Dental in Gilbert wants you to know that there is help for you if you suffer from this painful condition. Consistently using a dental night guard will give you these six advantages:
1. Prevents damage to your teeth. This is one of the most important reasons to wear a dental night guard. If you have bruxism, you unconsciously grind your teeth while you are sleeping. This can wear down the enamel and damage fillings, leading to the need for reconstructive dentistry. Wearing a mouthguard at night can prevent this kind of damage and save you money in the long run.
2. Headache prevention. If you experience frequent headaches, especially in the morning, the cause may be bruxism. Often, the headache will be in the temple, although some people experience it as an earache. Many patients get significant headache and neck pain relief when they begin to wear a dental night guard while they sleep.
3. Less tension and pain. It might seem illogical to expect that sleeping with a mouthguard would be comfortable, but that is exactly what most patients experience. Because the mouthguard is fitted specifically to the shape of your teeth, palate and jaw, you soon get used to it. When you awake after a restful sleep without tension or pain in your jaw, you will not want to sleep without it!
4. Improved sleep. While you sleep, the dental night guard keeps your jaw in a position that encourages muscle relaxation in your neck, jaw and TM joint. When your muscles are relaxed, you sleep better and wake up refreshed and ready to meet the challenges of the day.
5. Prevents snoring. Your dental night guard is designed in such a way as to create a slight space between your jaws. This increases the air passage and enables you to breathe easier while you sleep. Not only will you experience more restful sleep, but your significant other will undoubtedly appreciate the quieter nights!
6. Can alleviate sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a dangerous condition that can lead to heart attacks and strokes. It is caused by overly relaxed muscles in the neck that can block air passage through the throat. For patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea, a dental night guard can provide relief by keeping the lower jaw forward, making breathing easier while you sleep.
Lifetime Family Dental is committed to your health. If you have bruxism or mild sleep apnea, come see us for a consultation to determine your need for a dental night guard. We also offer mouthguards for sports. It is usually a two visit process to take an impression and do a final fitting. Don’t lose any more sleep over it! Help is here waiting for you.
Images used under creative commons license (Commerical Use) 10/25/2019 Photo by Candid on Unsplash